Think of Louisville as a big creative campus where ideas and passion come together. Wouldn’t it be exciting if there were an easy-to-access, low-cost platform to bring this campus to life?
This week Kris Kimel and Nat Irvin took this concept, IF University, out for a public test-drive to get some feedback and additional thinking before its launch in early 2012. The concept hopes to provide a way to carry on the great conversations that get started at IdeaFestival each year, and to offer a new way to access thought-provoking ideas. For IdeaFestival attendees the last day of the event is always sad; IF University will offer a variety of year-round experiences to showcase ideas, continue discussions and feed the curiosity that drives people to the festival.
Kris Kimel says that the first rule is that there are no rules. But thankfully, there are a few rough parameters under discussion to help make the concept work:
- The IF University “classes” could be a single short session (maybe an hour), or could be more than one session over time, and they could be anytime of the day or evening.
- The classes should focus on interaction rather than a formal lecture style of delivery.
- People interested in “teaching” a class (which could be closer to facilitating or hosting, than teaching), will submit their topic and plan to the IF folks who will decide whether it is a class or not. Or people can also suggest a topic or teacher to the IF team and they will try to make it happen. The content from previous IdeaFestivals may be available to teachers.
- There will be a small fee for each class, with the teacher receiving most of the net proceeds.
- The teacher will be responsible for finding the location, marketing the class and delivering the content. (The Louisville Free Public Library has offered their locations as possible venues and the IF folks will also help market the class.)
- IF University website will provide the schedule of classes, the number of available seats and the registration and payment process.
And in keeping with the Super Region frame, IF University will also be rolling out in Lexington.
In addition to interesting content, IF University offers an exciting opportunity for anyone and everyone in the community to become a leader by sharing their idea and/or passion.
To stay connected to this evolving platform for Louisville’s talent, you can subscribe to IF University here.